Thursday, February 4, 2016

Homemade Thieves Throat Drops

         I love, love, love these throat drops and more importantly my kids love them!  Thieves and lemon are such great immunity boosters, but it's hard for me to get my kids to consume thieves because of the strong taste. The taste of thieves in these drops is masked by the honey, and coughs and that scratchy throat feeling are gone immediately! 


You only need 3 ingredients:
1 cup raw ulfiltered honey (local if possible)
8 drops Thieves Young Living Esssential Oil
4 drops Lemon Young Living Essential Oil

You'll also need:
Quart sized or slightly smaller saucepan
1 candy thermometer
Silicone candy molds or parchment paper



First, pour the honey in the saucepan and set to slightly over medium heat.  (On  my electric stove I use a 6.)
Cook the honey until it gets to 300 degrees.  This is important, because if it doesn't get to 300 the lozenges won't get hard, but if it gets too hot the honey can start to burn.  The honey will look similar to this:


When it gets to 300 degrees, remove from heat and let it cool.  Don't cool it in the fridge or it will start to harden unevenly.  When the honey begins to set, add in the oils and stir.  Spoon the mixture into silicone molds or onto parchment paper. Do this as quickly as possible because the longer the honey cools, the more stiff and taffy like it will get.  Make sure you don't use wax paper, as the lozenges will stick.  (I speak from experience) This is how mine came out.  Not exactly perfect, but my mouth doesn't know the difference. :)



Once they're cooled (it only takes a few minutes), wrap in parchment paper to keep the lozenges from sticking together, or if you're like me and this step sounds too complicated, I find they don't stick to each other if you keep them in the freezer in a ziplock bag.  This recipe can definitely get a little messy, but it's an easy clean up, and so worth it!  My kids always come to me asking for their oils when they start feeling bad.  Now they ask for these lozenges too! :)

Do you want to learn more of what Young Living Essential Oils are all about?  Find out more here:
Smileyoilcrew.com
Or if you're ready to get started on your oily journey, sign up here:  yl.pe/tt4

Thanks for reading!!
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment